Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: system 7 lives again (Page 1 of 1)
  madmann (Profile)
  256 MB

Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:36 pm

After visiting your site and lem I was inspired to get my old ci out of the barn. It booted right up into system 7.5. In the last week I have reloaded all my old software and we are up and running. I began my mac experience with 7.0 in 1990 wow. This brings back a lot of fun memories like my masters thesis in word 4 and cricket graph. With the graphs published subscribed into word. It took the pc world 5 years ? to have the same abilities we rock!

wove (Profile)

Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:29 pm

madmann wrote:

After visiting your site and lem I was inspired to get my old ci out of the barn. It booted right up into system 7.5. In the last week I have reloaded all my old software and we are up and running. I began my mac experience with 7.0 in 1990 wow. This brings back a lot of fun memories like my masters thesis in word 4 and cricket graph. With the graphs published subscribed into word. It took the pc world 5 years ? to have the same abilities we rock!

Productivity at the begining of the System 7 era was measured by a much different metric than it was at the end of the System 7 era. Publish and Subscribe was a cornerstone technology in System 7. It was something that was much easier to use than to describe.

It is sad fact that productivity became more associated with processor clock speed than with software elegance. Applications started moving toward huge monoliths. MS and Adobe hated to think you were using software from a developer other than themselves. Applications started including more and more, making it increasingly harder to integrate with other applications.

Linkback is an OS X project that is attempting to bring back the functionality of Publish and Subscribe. There are a number of applications that support it, but overall I believe that it is fading into obscurity much like Publish and Subscribe before it.

bill

presidio-tex (Profile)
  2 MB

Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:50 pm

Bill...you said you wished for LinkBack to be brought more into the mainstream(I'm paraphrasing of course).....looks to me after visiting their website.....most of the LinkBack-enabled applications appear to be Open Source type projects.....no big deal if you're a rebel like me and have tossed all my MS apps in the trash! *yee haw!* No really....of all the Open Source software I have used....I find much more functionality in them as opposed to commercial software.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.