Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Anyone rebuild a battery for PB500 series (Page 1 of 2)
Post ReplyGo to page 1, 2  Next
  rlawson (Profile)
  64 MB

Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:14 am

I've got 4 dead batteries in my 2 PB540c's.

I've seen article where you can rebuild the batteries but I haven't been able to find anyone who's done it for the 500 series.

Any pointers ?

Thanks,
Rick

tomlee59 (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Sun May 06, 2007 1:34 am

There isn't much to it, luckily. The procedure is pretty much the same as for all battery packs. Carefully open the case (x-acto knife or some such tool is helpful; work slowly and take care). You'll see a collection of cells and a small circuit board. Take note of how everything is wired together (and pay particular attention to cell polarities).

Replace the ensemble of cells with your new ones. They're NiMH cells in the 540. If you don't own a spot-welder, try to find replacement cells that have tabs already welded on, and solder to those. Don't dally; excessive heat will kill the cells.

Reassemble and test. I actually never do more than use some double-faced tape inside to sort of hold things together (in anticipation of having to do this again someday). But if you prefer a more solid assembly, you can use a soldering iron (whose tip you don't care about) to melt the two halves together along the seams you cut. It won't look pretty, but it gets the job done.

digital42 (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Wed May 30, 2007 10:42 pm

I've found that the Intelligent Battery utility works wonders, just picked up a "dead" PowerBook 520 for $10, re-formatted and installed 7.6, and ran the Intelligent Battery Recondition utility and now get over an hour from this "dead" system!

Dan

Old 520 (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:06 pm

Hello,

I found a 520 powerbook in the attic and it seems to work OK, but the battery is dead. I've read about and downloaded the battery updater, but (probably because I'm transferring from a PC) it doesn't work. It asks for a 'PC Exchange' program to open the .bin file.

I know nothin about MACS does anyone have any tips as I have also downloaded the images for the OS 7.5.5.

Thanks!

Old 520 (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:17 pm

Hello again,

I've found PC exchange, but it only seems to be set up to send .txt files to Simple Text.

Which application should I select to handle the battery updater? Or what is the suffix for a program on the MAC? (Already tried .exe. of course!)

Thanks

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:08 pm

There actually are no file extensions on the classic Mac OS. All versions of the Mac OS previous to X use resource forks that contain file type and creator codes to tell what is an app, what is a document, and which app to use to open which documents. So changing the three character file extensions (or having them for that matter) has no effect.

You can read more here:

http://docs.info.apple.com/art.....tnum=55381

If you want to open a document that has no creator code with a particular app, you can drag it onto that app, which will then try to open it. This is most often the case with using PC disks because PCs don't work this way. If you have a file named readme.txt from your PC, and it is not associated with any program on your Mac, you can drag it onto SimpleText to open it, then save it again, and it will then be associated with SimpleText.

Also, "Mac" is not an acronym for anything, it's just short for "Macintosh" - no need to capitalize all the letters. "MAC" in all caps actually means something else, related to networking.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page 1, 2  Next

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.