Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: WordPerfect (Page 1 of 1)
  jrethorst (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:54 pm

Many thanks to Dan for hosting a free download of WordPerfect 3.5e.

Users of System 7.5 and later (including Tiger) should also download the OS 8/9/Classic updater, free at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wordperfectmac/. While this fixes a couple of problems specific to the later OS versions, it also slows scrolling under OS 7. As shipped, the program simply scrolls too fast to be useful. It also fixes a couple of display problems.

Dan, you're welcome to add the Updater to your site. It's used by thousands of people and is problem-free.

WP users might also like the Yahoo group, for free support for WP as well as hundreds of enhancements and links.

Thanks,

John Rethorst

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:41 pm

I never had problems with scrolling in WordPerfect under OS 7, hence I never put it up. I was under the impression the "OS 8/9 Updater" had the words "OS 8/9" in the name for a reason, possibly because in OS 8.5 and higher the scrollbars represents the size of the document being viewed which did not exist at the time WordPerfect was written. I believe WordPerfect may therefore inacurately report the size of a document to whatever Mac OS routine handles the scrolling in the later versions of the OS, giving you a really fast scroll speed because the scroll is trying to get you through what it believes is a 200 page document when it may in fact be only 2 pages.

I'll look into the updater, but I'm not 100% convinced this does anything for OS 7 users.

jrethorst (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:28 am

I named the updater (although I didn't write it). It was written primarily to address problems that first came up with OS 8x, primarily grayed-out Window and Style menus. Otherwise, WP was written to scroll as fast as possible, resulting in a nice quick scroll for machines of the time. When faster machines came along, running system 7 as well as 8, the scroll speed made scrolling difficult. I should have said in my post that the scroll issue was machine-dependent.

Thanks,

John

jrethorst (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 2:31 pm

One problem with offering WordPerfect without the updater is that a user may not know that the updater exists. The program then scrolls too fast on his machine, so he throws the program away. Or he passes the download along to a friend with a faster machine or who's on OS 8 or 9 or Classic. Neither user knows about the updater, so the friend tosses what's still one of the best solutions for serious writing on the Mac.

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 3:49 pm

I still haven't experienced this fast scrolling you speak of... once I get my 500mhz G3 powered 8600 set up with OS 7, I'll test it out and consider putting it up.

In the same manner, I do not put upgrades for Microsoft Office 98 that do not pertain to (and will not install on) OS 7.

jrethorst (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 5:44 pm

dpaanlka wrote:

I still haven't experienced this fast scrolling you speak of... once I get my 500mhz G3 powered 8600 set up with OS 7, I'll test it out and consider putting it up.

The updater fixes bugs too.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.