Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: why is stuffit packed as hqx? (Page 1 of 1)
  joey (Profile)
  2 MB

Posted: Sun May 13, 2007 3:16 pm

Hi,
This seems rediculous! As stated in the download stuffit expander is for unpacking sit. hqx files etc, but it an hqx itself, so obviously i can't unpack it to install it

how did anyone else work round this? i've tried unstuffing in os x but it didn't work

thanks a lot
joe

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Sun May 13, 2007 3:36 pm

Well, Mac OS does not come with the ability to unstuff Stuffit files, that's why you're downloading Stuffit in the first place. It comes as an hqx because browsers can decode hqx files.

Also, the stuffit55.hqx file decodes just fine on my Mac Pro, and all my other machines. Perhaps your download failed prematurely.

wove (Profile)

Posted: Sun May 13, 2007 3:44 pm

Although not as common as the once were, many internet gateways will only 7 bit code. An .hqx file that has not only combined the resource and data fork of a Mac file, but as also converted the file to 7 bit.

As Dan has pointed out most browsers decode .hqx files when they are downloaded. In some cases whether or not the feature is enabled is part of the browser preferences and you can look in your browser preferences to make sure the setting is turned on. You might also check in the Internet Config application to see that the helper application for .hqx files is not set to StuffIt otherwise rather than using the browsers built in decoding the file will be passed to StuffIt. If StuffIt is not installed you will then get the message you describe.

If Internet Config is set for Stuffit to handle .hqx files then it will be necessary to delete that or to edit it to point back to your browser.

bill

joey (Profile)
  2 MB

Posted: Wed May 16, 2007 12:43 pm

thanks for the replies, much appreciated,

I knew there had to be a simple answer

joe

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.