Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Old 400k/800k disk images (Page 1 of 1)
  Spartacus (Profile)
  1 MB

Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:10 am

Hi all,

I have a bunch of old floppy image files in 400k and 800k format that I can't read anymore. I made them with Disk Copy or ShrinkWrap. Does anybody know which is the most recent version of the System that can mount them? I've heard that Mac OS X server can deal with 400k and 800k floppies as read-only, but I don't know if it applies to images as well.

I'm pretty sure System 7 can mount them, but a more recent OS (7.6?) would make it easier to find a Mac that can run it and that I can put in network.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Olivier

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Fri May 05, 2006 10:52 pm

I don't see why Disk Copy 6 wouldn't mount them. You can download that at the main site.

If that doesn't work, then you may need to indeed find an old Mac that will read those.

ejpetersen (Profile)
  2 MB

Posted: Sun May 07, 2006 9:45 pm

I just used disk copy on my Classic II to make a boot disk for a mac 512ke that I picked up cheep. The Classic II is running system 7.6 and made a 400k floppy from a disk image. The hard part is finding the old 800k disks. I have some old 800k disks I keep around for such an occasion.

bd1308 (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Mon May 08, 2006 3:35 pm

I didn't think about how hard it is to find 720K/800K disks...but those have GOTTA be hard to find now...

I remember there used to be a old DOS format command that would force a 1.4MB disk to format in 720K (800K in macintosh format), but that was during my PC days.

b

Devon (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Wed May 10, 2006 11:32 pm

I remember a ad in a dos magazine where the product advertesed was this stupid thing basically a hole punch that would punch the extra hole in a 720k dos disk so it could be formated as a 1.44 disk and they wanted like 60 bucks for the thing and said it could save you THOUSANDS by allowing you to buy the cheaper 720k disks and convert them 1.44s

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.