Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Important Notice - Input Appreciated (Page 2 of 2)
Post ReplyGo to page Previous  1, 2
  dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:40 pm

After thinking long and hard about this, a plan of sorts is coming into mind.

They key feeling I have is, I don't want to make the new Info-Mac just a relic of old Info-Mac. The old and invaluable archive will be restored, and pages dedicated to the archives of the mailing list as well. But I want it to be more than just a bit of vintage Mac curiosity.

No, instead I think I would like to make the new Info-Mac a new, thoroughly modern online community for Macintosh users. It would focus more on current and recent Macs running Mac OS X, and have a broader audience appeal for that reason. I believe the Info-Mac name and legacy, combined with a completely new and modern online community, will have quite a potential for success.

Basically, the new Info-Mac will serve the same purpose as the old Info-Mac, but in a way that is relevant and useful our time. It is what I think the old Info-Mac would have eventually evolved into, had it been given the chance.

Thoughts on that?

madmann (Profile)
  256 MB

Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:37 pm

my input.

What I like about system7today is for me it is just fun . It is easy to navigate, find help and sometimes try to give it. Danís site has to some extent became our site. Most are enjoying the challenge of running these old machines and allowing their usefulness to surprise you. I have looked at other sites but they are more difficult to find information and there is a lot of junk having no use. Info-mac would allow for a os 8 and os 9 area to allow the g3 g4 machines to do what we are doing with os 7. Soon I will have 3 machines that could run os8 through os 10.5. It would be nice to have a site that would address other issues except the latest os like s7t.

Info-mac could be a main community for the current os with specific communities with their own style and feel such as system7today, os8tomarrow, os9forever.\

michael

wthww (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:38 am

I've been lurking here at S7T for a while-- Well, a long time. I appreciate The resources, and help this site offers. This is indeed a momentus action in the mac cimmunity. The possibility of brining what was the mac world for decades. I strongly agree with your course of action; Restore thge archives, and start one or something like it for OS X. Excellent. I can't wait to see where this goes!

//wthww

phummers (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:00 am

dpaanlka wrote:

No, instead I think I would like to make the new Info-Mac a new, thoroughly modern online community for Macintosh users. It would focus more on current and recent Macs running Mac OS X, and have a broader audience appeal for that reason. I believe the Info-Mac name and legacy, combined with a completely new and modern online community, will have quite a potential for success.

I'm afraid you've lost me here ... I don't like X (I use it at work); at home, for a modern computer I use Linux-PPC and for fun, 7.6 (on a PB5300). But mainly, and I see this elsewhere, as the X stuff takes more and more space (and it will, quickly), where will the older stuff go? Of course I know you can only go so far with 7.6, which will reduce the dynamism of the site, but I'd like to see, first and foremost, a restoration of the Info-Mac archives, with submissions from those of us with old software lying around (respecting licenses), as not everything is on there (although sometimes it seems as if it is).

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:23 am

I don't plan on adding any new software to the Info-Mac Archive. The community will be a continuation of the Info-Mac Digest, but in online forum form.

wall (Profile)
  256 MB

Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:26 am

dpaanlka wrote:

...instead I think I would like to make the new Info-Mac a new, thoroughly modern online community for Macintosh users.

I do not use X, but 7/8/9 and my escape route in the far future is probably MOL (although I am more of drag&drop than Terminal kind of guy), but I do think that you are doing the right decision. The group of 7 users will never be a large one, and having (hopefully) a thriving X site will help keeping the S7T alive longer.

Have you considered having the info-mac as an umbrella for 7, and as madmann have been posting, for 8 & 9 sites? It could bring new blood for the classic OS's and give a profile of its own for the new site, to lift it above the competition as there are plenty of bland and useless X sites around already.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page Previous  1, 2

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.