Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: PowerMacintosh 7200-Worth OS 7, or is OS 8 faster? (Page 1 of 1)
  Zap2 (Profile)
  1 MB

Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:00 pm

I got a PowerMacintosh 7200/90 for free, it has a 500Mb Hard Drive and 72mbs of RAM. If i went back to OS 7 would it be worth it? Or should i update to OS 9, along with another Hard Drive and a G3(it one even out there for this Mac?) and RAM .

How would this Mac run os OS 7 with no upgrades? I can feel on my OS 8 is a tad slow

Also if there a wireless internet card for this PM?

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:10 pm

Zap2 wrote:

I got a PowerMacintosh 7200/90 for free, it has a 500Mb Hard Drive and 72mbs of RAM. If i went back to OS 7 would it be worth it? Or should i update to OS 9

Yeah Mac OS 8.6 and especially Mac OS 9 will be tremendously tremendously slow on that machine.

Obviously if you come to a site called "System 7 Today" - the opinions here are mostly going to be in favor of Mac OS 7.6.1 as the best option for your early Power Mac.

Mac OS 7.6.1 is compaitlbe with all of the Sonnet G3 upgrades, and all of the NewerTech ones as well. But even with no upgrades, Mac OS 7.6.1 will be pretty fast on that computer.

If you read through the information at the main site that will make your choice easier.

Zap2 wrote:

Also if there a wireless internet card for this PM?

Not internally, however you can get a really cheap external adapter, such as the LinkSys Wireless Gaming Adapter, for like $29 at TigerDirect last time I checked.

jens (Profile)
  64 MB

Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:22 am

My 7200/90 was way faster with 7.5.2 than with Mac OS 9.

Just uses 9 as it made for a better server in my opinion.

I thought the speed with System 7 was tremendous compared to my 4400/160 running 9.1.

Did you try that out meanwhile?

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Fri May 05, 2006 7:05 pm

jens wrote:

Just uses 9 as it made for a better server in my opinion.

You should try AppleShare IP 5.0.2 and Mac OS 7.6.1. Ultra stable, ultra fast.

This will be the future server of System 7 Today, in fact.

jens (Profile)
  64 MB

Posted: Mon May 08, 2006 9:13 am

Yeah - I'm waiting to access it. :)

As I finally got me a copy of 7.6 on eBay I think I will try it as well at some point in time. Mr. Green

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.