Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: HyperCard 2.x? (Page 1 of 1)
  wall (Profile)
  256 MB

Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:36 pm

Do anyone know a link to download HyperCard 2.x DEMO?

wove (Profile)

Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:21 pm

I am not sure there ever was a Demo for HyperCard 2.1 and above. Versions Prior to 2.1 were free and included as part of the system. The HyperCard Player is included with most OS installs as are any updaters.

I purchased the full HyperCard package. It came in a giant box, with a half dozen manuals. The HyperCard application and the various support and enhance applications was on a dozen floppies or more.

I liked and used HyperCard quite a bit with System 6, but used it less and less as the years went on. Early on with its scripting and the ease of creating a stack it was a marvel for creating simple cataloging applications, address books, image viewers, home accounting aids. There was a Hypercard stack that connected to Delphi (an old online service similar to Compuserve) that was just a marvel of ease of use and power, compared to working online in the VT terminal in the communication portion of ClarisWorks.

HyperCard existed in a state of suspended animation for many years. The creator Bill Atkins left Apple and no one with his creativity and insight took over the project. The code base contained a lot of machine code, and was heavily optimize to run at good speed on machines with limited resources.It was never updated to PPC code and runs in emulation on all PPC hardware.

You should be able to locate V2.0 which is a full version and will run fine on all hardware with 7.6. The Hypercard Player is also readily available online as are literally thousands of stacks, which should provide a solid feel for what it can do.

bill

wall (Profile)
  256 MB

Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:22 pm

Thank you for your reply bill, it is always a pleasure to read your thorough posts.

I have some different Player versions from install disks and one from pure-mac, but I can not locate a full version from the net. In the end I will probably buy one from Ebay, but before it I would have liked to check it out. My reason for searching the demo is here, in a quote from Wikipedia:

"Early versions of the HyperCard 2.x "demo" that shipped on the Mac OS system CDs were actually the full version, with the Home stack changed to default to a user level of 2 ("typing"). By simply typing magic into the Message Box (HyperCard's "console"), one could remove two opaque buttons covering the controls for changing the user level and regain the full feature set (except for some of the sample stacks)."

My guess is that it is included with 7.0, which I do not have.

I have found some nice stacks, like those in http://www.umich.edu/~archive/mac/hypercard/
and my reasons for using HyperCard are the same as you had earlier; cataloging, home accounting etc.

And I happen to have a IIsi in a closet, for which I am trying to find a use in my home.

Thanks again for your reply

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.